This will be San Marino's fourth time in the contest and they are yet to reach the finals. I think their first entry was the best so far but it placed the worst so what would I know?!?!
Miodio with Complice in 2008
This recipe was inspired by a recipe for pork rind and beans.
Pork and Beans
- 200g of dried barlotti beans
- 6 pork rashers
- 2 onions quartered
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. lard
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Soak beans over night in cold water
- Cook the beans in fresh salted water for about 1 hour till tender (use double the amount of canned beans to skip this step)
- In a large pot of cold water bring the pork rashers, quartered onion and garlic to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-1.5 hours till rashers are tender
- Slice rashers into 2 cm pieces
- Melt the lard with the oil in a large pot on high heat
- Add the chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic and coat with lard/oil
- Reduce heat and add the drained beans and rashers
- Add the stock and tomatoes and simmer for about 30 mins till tender and reduced slightly.
- Season to taste
- Garnish with parsley and a splash of olive oil
- Hot buttery ciabatta would make the perfect mate for this dish
Valentina Monetta placed the highest of all San Marino past contests with the Social Network song in 2011, so they are packing her off to Malmö to try her luck again this year. Can her song Crisalide (Vola) place San Marino even higher this year?