Miss Malta came 2nd in 2005 behind the gyrating bare chested Greeks, so being someone that likes patterns (not to a medically alarming level) I advise Malta to send her again so that they can score their first win.
Makku - Whitebait
- 1kg whitebait
- 4 eggs
- 4-5 tbsp. plain flour
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 minced garlic clove (optional)
- Oil for frying
- 1-2 lemons
- Rinse whitebait in a colander under running cold water
- Leave the whitebait whole, head and guts intact, yum!
- In a mixing bowl add the eggs, flour and beat to a lump free batter but not too runny
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the garlic and parsley to the batter (or leave out garlic and sprinkle parsley over at the end as pictured)
- In a large pot heat the oil on high
- In batches dip the whitebait in the batter and then fry till golden brown
- Reduce the heat of the oil if the whitebait are browning too quickly
- Drain in a metal colander over a bowl to maintain the crispness
- Place on a serving plate and season
- Sprinkle with parsley and add some lemon.
Will Gianluca be able to do one better than Chiara and secures Malta's first win with Tomorrow?