I first discovered halva while watching Greek Come Dine With Me and then had some tutoring from a Macedonian colleague, she'd advise too pale, too dry, but I think I got it right in the end.
My all time favourite F.Y.R.M entry is 2002 Karolina singing Od Nas Zavisi musically this song is so interesting and I love the complex backing vocals, but really if you can rip off a ball gown to reveal gold chest armour you're OK in my book.
I've also added a special mention for another F.Y.R.M act I love for their theatricality, Toše Proeski with Life from 2004 who was tragically killed in a car accident in 2007.
Halva with walnuts
- 7 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup sunflower oil (or vegetable)
- 3 1/4 cups coarse semolina
- 200g walnuts chopped coarsely
- 500g Greek yogurt
- 1 pear pealed and chopped
- Pomegranate seeds
- Honey to drizzle
- In a large saucepan add the water, sugar, honey, orange zest and juice, cinnamon and cloves.
- Gently simmer and stir to dissolve sugar and infuse flavours for about 20 minutes the strain.
- In a large boiler add the oils and semolina and mix
- Toast over a high heat to darken the semolina, it should turn a nut brown colour
- Take semolina off the heat and add the walnuts and mix through
- Carefully add the syrup, this will be very dramatic and may spit so caution is advised
- Mix to absorb the liquid
- Spoon halva into an oiled Bundt tin, again carefully as it is super hot
- Let cool in the fridge for a few hours
- Remove from Bundt onto a serving plate
- Rather than filling the hole with a pot plant (you've all seen the movie...it's a cake) I combined the pear and yogurt then topped with pomegranate seeds and honey but this is optional
Gotta love an oozing reveal!
It also make a delicious breakfast while writing and if you cover up the halva you can try and claim you are just having healthy yogurt, it's worth a shot.
Will F.Y.R.M give us some drama again this year as Esma & Lozano sing Pred Da Se Razdeni?