So today is a celebration of both. For the grandmother we have Grandma Boonika, reportedly a neighbour/cousin of the band Zdob şi Zdub who they just had to bring along to the 2005 contest. I find her a true inspiration proving that you're never too old for Eurovision, there is hope for me yet. If you need me I'll be out the back practicing my little turns.
Now for the purple I found a Moldovan beetroot salad, that is so delicious with just the right balance of creamy texture and hint of garlic. You need to boil the beetroots but I suppose if you are "time poor" and don't actually like the people you are cooking for you could always use beetroot from a can. (Insert disapproving glare here)
They placed 6th and I'm sure most of it was due to Gran.
Moldovan Beetroot Salad
- 4 Medium beetroots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 90g walnut crumbs
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Put beetroot into a medium saucepan and cover with cold salted water
- Bring the water to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 25-30 minutes till the beetroots are tender
- When tender, remove beetroot from the saucepan and allow to cool
- Peel beetroot (or leave skin on) and grate into a mixing bowl
- Mince the garlic in a garlic crusher and add to beetroot
- Add remaining ingredients to the beetroot and stir to combine
- Salt to taste
- Let sit for an hour or 2 before serving (or eat straight away it's still yum)
- You can also garnish with extra walnut crumbs if you wish
Moldova will present O Mie sung by Aliona Moon in 2013.