Thankfully these days I am smart enough to pre book annual leave for these days so I can either "chillax" for the day or re watch the contest over and over again. (you know which one I do)
In the past the breakfast of choice was a weird scrambled bacon and egg omelette, that involved chucking bacon, eggs, spring onions, chilli, and parmesan in the food processor to wiz it up. Then I would half scramble half omelette the mixture as I made sure the internet stream was prepped. A pile of buttered ciabatta, a quadruple espresso, my blankie and I am ready to hear Marc-Antoine Charpentier's Te Deum play.
Tradition or bouncy I have come to accept the newer version.
Keeping an eye out for new breakfast ideas I came across today's offering from Bulgaria Panagyurski Eggs. This dish has a nice kick with the garlic and paprika, but gentle texture with the yogurt so I think it will find a place along side my ciabatta, espresso and blankie on Eurovision mornings.Bulgaria always brings something special to Eurovision but whether it be the throat singing, stilt walking dancers or the electro scratching, break dancing and salon girl of 2008 they have only reached the final once.
My all time favourite Bulgarian entry is from 2009 Krassimir Avramov with Illusion, there is nothing this act doesn't have, a counter tenor, costumes from a revival of Pippin and Robin Hood, an ensemble competing to see who can hit the highest note, spinning a girl by the end of her stilts and is that a cameo from Eleanor LaGore?
|Gina Riley as Eleanor LaGore from Big Girls Blouse|
It is Eurovision at it's finest and you may find yourself humming the song.
- 500ml Greek yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- A splash of vinegar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Strain the yogurt in a sieve over a bowl in the fridge for about 1 hour (this is not necessary if using a thick yogurt)
- Combine garlic with yogurt and season to taste
- Spread mixture over a serving plate
- In a medium saucepan of water, add the splash of vinegar and bring to the boil
- Poach the eggs to the yolk firmness you prefer
- Drain the eggs in a colander
- While eggs are cooking heat the oil in a small saucepan
- Add the paprika, remove from heat
- Place the eggs on the serving plate
- Pour over the oil and serve
- The oil takes no time at all when it's hot to burn the paprika so be mindful to take it off the heat.
This year Bulgaria will again send Elitsa Todorova, their only finalist and Stoyan Yankulov with Samo Shampioni (Only Champions), will there be stilts and drums?