A couple of weekends ago I pulled out the last of the zucchini plants as winter has definitely arrived.
I thought I should have done this a couple of weeks earlier but to my surprise I still had a couple of zucchini wilfully hanging onto their glorious summer.
The zucchini is a powerhouse of versatility and adds a beautiful moistness to these waffles, aka gentrified zucchini fritters.
Seriously there is nothing hipsters love more than an appliance based food item with a craft beer delivered by drone, lamington jaffle anyone?
Ingredients - make about 2 large waffles
- 1 medium zucchini 200g
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 85g self raising flour
- 125ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 50g feta, crumbled
- 50g cheddar, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grate the zucchini into a bowl lined with a clean tea towel
- Gather up the edges of the tea towel and squeeze out excess liquid
- Add all ingredient to a mixing bowl and combine
- Heat waffle iron and spray with oil
- Spoon half the mix into the waffle iron (depending on the size of your waffle maker)
- Cook for about 6 minutes (always wise to check out your own machine's instructions)
Home grown beauties
Fine dice of red onion and reserve some for garnish
Love a good all in one recipe
You don't want to over fill it....
These are a moist waffle not dry and crisp
I took inspiration from My Year without Meat by Richard Cornish after seeing the zucchini fritter recipe.
I recommend everyone give this book a read for more insight into where our food comes from.
Who doesn't love egg porn???