Just to mix things up and keep everyone on their toes (awake) let's start with our Spanish musical offering.
Spain first entry into Eurovision was sung by Conchita Bautista placing 9th in 1961 then returning to place last in 1965...She may have done better if she had a beard!
Whenever I think Spanish I think sausage, chorizo!
I remember fondly a recipe from a magazine that was chicken and chorizo skewers either on the BBQ or grill and how it was the perfect combination.
A party food with the same combination was what I was after but didn't want to just recreate the dish. As fate may have it a burger cookbook I was given for Christmas jumped out at me while looking through my cookbook bookcase and as the say the rest is history. A burger it must be!
The chicken and chorizo burger may not be the best for elegant cocktail parties due to the spillage factor but is perfect for a relaxed time with friends who don't mind a few slops.
Chicken and Chorizo Burgers
- 2 chorizo
- 2-3 large chicken thigh fillets
- 1 red onion
- 80g grated cheese (like manchego or other sheep cheese)
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 5 threads of saffron (or a pinch)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- In a food processor add chicken, red onion and a pinch of salt
- Heat a frypan or griddle to medium high heat
- Shape the chicken into small patties, about 1 tbsp.
- Panfry them for about 10 minutes till cooked through, turning but not pushing down as it will squeeze out their juices
- Slice chorizo into 1/2 cm slices
- If the pan is big enough fry off the chorizo slices so both sides are crisp
- Make the mayonnaise by adding the saffron to a bowl with 5ml of water and let sit for 10 minutes the stir in the chilli and mayonnaise
- Assemble the burger, adding a dollop of mayonnaise on top
- Toothpicks may help if your burger doesn't want to sit
- This can be enjoyed hot or cold