Unlike France I could probably continue this post in L'Italiano but I wont, Italy is our second last country in the Chow Down to Eurovision 2013.
The essence of Italian food is simplicity and when it comes to cucina povera it's about making do with what you can.
Today's dish is what I lived on when I was studying in Italy, not only could I eat it by the truckload but it was something I could actually say it! "Vorrei mezzo chilo di broccoli, grazie" once you have that half kilo of broccoli, pasta con i broccoli is the only way to go.
I also really love Italian cinema and spent a lot of time at the movies, I even saw Australia dubbed into Italian which was weird but there was a sneaky home sick tear shed.
Fiumi di Parole (river of words) by Jalisse was another surprise Eurovision treat when it featured in the movie Ex. She also won Sanremo in 1997 with the song but came 4th in Eurovision and Italy wasn't seen at Eurovision for 14 years!!
- 1kg dried pasta any shape (penne or anything that holds the sauce)
- 500g broccoli
- 160g bottle of anchovies
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200g parmesan or pecorino
- Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water
- Cut the broccoli into pieces and add to the pasta pot once water is back to the boil
- Cook pasta till al dente and drain
- Return the pot to the stove
- Over medium heat add anchovies including their oil and olive oil to the pot
- Crush the garlic and add to pot and stir
- When anchovies have broken down add pasta back to pot and stir to coat
- Take off the heat and stir through the cheese
- Buon appetite
- You can also add a knob of butter or a touch more oil if you prefer
- The size of the broccoli is varies when I make it so it breaks down more but size if up to you.
Italy will host the 2014 Eurovision song contest, eh magari!! (I wish)
Marco Mengoni will sing his Sanremo winning song L'Essenziale in this years final, can he do better than Jalisse and win both? I can't cope with another 14 year Italian absence!