While Georgia did not participate in Moscow (2009) every year since their debut in 2007 they have secured a place in the final, well until 2012 with Anri Jokhadze and the aptly titled I'm a Joker, a high camp number about being a womanizer.
For the Chow Down to Eurovision 2013 Georgia is offering Khachapuri or cheese bread. I love this dish as it is the best of both worlds pizza and bread, and with the addition of an egg on top it has that little touch of an Aussie. For my international readers an Aussie is a pizza with bacon and ham and an egg cracked over it, strangely I never saw one in Rome.
Our Eurovision past taster is from 2008 when not only Diana Gurtskaya did a reveal but the full 6 member cast did a simultaneous reveal, talk about bring out your big guns. The song Peace Will Come is appropriate to the Khachapuri as once you start baking it you wont be able to wait for a Piece to come!
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. salt
- 14g instant yeast
- 450g strong flour
- 2 1/2 cups of grated cheese (use a variety, mozzarella, parmesan, cheddar, fetta etc.)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. strong flour
- 2 tsp. paprika
- In a microwave safe bowl heat the 1/4 cup and butter for 1 minute till melted.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the 3/4 cup milk, sugar, coriander, salt and milk/butter mix.
- Add yeast and flour and roughly mix with a spoon, let rest for 40 minutes
- Using a dough hook to knead till dough is elastic about 8 minutes
- Put dough into an oiled bowl and let rise for about 1-2 hours
- Make filling by mixing in a food processor the cheese, cream cheese, eggs, flour and paprika
- Divide the dough in half
- Roll out 1 half on a floured bench, it will end up in a 28cm cake tin so you want to roll out to at least 34 diameter rough
- Add half the filling and spread around
- Fold dough in on itself to enclose
- Place in greased 28cm cake tin, joined side down
- Prick all over with a fork
- Let rise for covered for another 40 minutes
- Repeat with second half
- If making the egg version, slice a cross in the top layer of the bread and gently peel back the points and crack an egg into the centre.
- Bake in 180°C oven for 35-40 minutes
- Once out of the oven smear with butter to make it glossy
- Best served warm, as if there will be any left for it to get cold??
Waterfall is Georgia's hope for this year sung by Nodi Tatishvili & Sophie Gelovani.