Dobryy vecher from Russia with love... (Don't boo it's a blog, no one can hear you)
The year 2000 saw Russia come 2nd in the contest with their first entry in English, Solo. Alsou did manage sing So Low but the deadly serious big burly backing dancer doing jazz ballet are the most memorable part of the act.....are there some early Beyonce moves there?
Russia dish is a great source of vitamin B which is helpful of you find yourself on the wrong end of a Eurovision drinking game.
Mushrooms Julienne make 12 small ramekins or you could make a big one
- 1 leek
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 onions
- knob of butter
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- 400g mushrooms
- 1 whole nutmeg
- A splash of verjuice
- 150g hard cheese of your choice grated, (I had some hard greek sheeps cheese)
- Quantity of white sauce, recipe below
- Dice the leeks, onions and garlic
- Fry in a saucepan with a knob of butter till softened
- Add the rosemary and stir
- Add the mushrooms and cook on low heat till starting to soften
- Grated in 1/2 the nutmeg, add verjuice and stir
- When softened fill some ramekins 3/4 full
- Fill the ramekins till just full with the white sauce
- Top with a hand full of grated cheese
- Bake at 180 for 20 minutes
- Serve with little toasts for a douze points dish
- 40g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 750ml light milk
- Vegetable stock cube
- In a saucepan melt the butter
- Add the flour, stir to combine,
- cook the flour for about 1 minute
- Add milk to a jug with a good quality stock cube)
- Slowly add some milk while whisking to make a smooth sauce
- As the sauce thickens add more milk a little at a time, you might not use all the milk.
- While whisking let the sauce cook to thicken further for a few minutes, it should have a thick pourable consistency (but not thick enough you can slice it!)
- Season to taste
Like little cheesy ponds
Nobody could boo that dish!
Russia will bring a song of peace to Vienna, I'm sure that won't be awkward...
There is no doubt they will be booed during the performance, which I do not support.
I find booing very disrespectful to the artist and the respect of the audience and possible not the most effective way to have your point of view heard.
Polina Gagarina will give a great performance and I wish her the best of luck in what really is a tough gig.