Good evening from the home of Lordi, Finland, our fifth country in this tasty tour of Europe.
No time to unpack we are heading straight to the Eurovision 1990 and the Finnish entry Beat with Fri?
While they have rocking hair Europe should be proud of Beat shared last place with Norway on just 8 points.
I am obsessed with beetroot in all it's many forms and shades, yes it doesn't just come in a can
In my Chow Down to Eurovision research I also found may forms of these Finish beetroot burgers, grated into a fritter/rosti or in slices.
I love them sliced as they are soooo good just on their own with sourcream but also on a bun with "the lot"!
Surely these must be a crumbed "superfood"...well you would probably have to use quinoa flakes and coconut oil to be a real "superfood"
- 2 long beetroots
- 2 eggs beaten
- seasoned flour
- panko breadcrumbs
- 300ml sour cream
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced (optional)
- Olive oil
- Parsley to garnish
- Add beetroots to a saucepan of cold water
- Bring to boil then simmer till just tender (20-30mins)
- Drain beetroot and allow to cool completely
- Mix sour cream with lemon juice, spring onion, garlic and a pinch of salt
- Peel beetroot and slice into 1-2cm slices
- Coat each slice in flour, egg and breadcrumbs
- Add olive oil to a frypan, a good glug! (enough to shallow fry not deep)
- On a medium heat fry each slice for 2-3 minutes till golden and crisp
- Drain on paper towel and serve with an extra sprinkle of salt and parsley
- Top with sour cream
Give me a Eurovision dvd, a beer and a plate of these and I'm one happy fella.
This year Finland will be represented by Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät aka PKN.
PKN are a punk band and this has caused quite a stir amongst Eurovision "fans", claiming they are only there as a token, some even calling for them to be disqualified because their song isn't the Eurovision pop!
This is exactly why I love Eurovision, I get exposed to so many new and different artists.
Would you really want to sit through a night of 40 Carolas?
It seemed to be that last year's message of tolerance, acceptance and the notion of being unstoppable was only applicable to women with facial hair.
I get the not everyone likes punk music and that Aina mun pitää may not be the best punk song ever or could the real reason for the carrying on be that people are uncomfortable with people with disabilities?
If you are so closed minded you can't spend 1.37 minutes of your life listening to a punk song the producers of Eurovision 2015 have picked the perfect theme for you......
Build a bridge!
Carly Findlay and I had a chat about Eurovision, inclusion and PKN prior to their selection.
Past Finland Chow Down to Eurovision: