Բարի երեկո (Good Evening) this is Armenia calling, proudly the first contestant for Chow Down to Eurovision 2014.
It seems only yesterday the bunting was being packed away and we were celebrating the win of Norway's cardamom lard fried morsels for Chow Down to Eurovision 2013.
For those of you joining the Chow Down to Eurovision for the first time, buckle up we have 37 countries and 37 dishes to get through before we arrive in Copenhagen.
For those of you that are back for more, I love you!
Armenia has been a powerhouse in Eurovision since they joined in 2006 placing top 10 every year except 2013.......oh and 2011 when they sent a lass in a giant boxing glove, fun times.
Armenia made it to the final of Chow Down to Eurovision 2013 with an Apricot and Nutmeg cake which has had several repeat bakes in this house.
They were also right on the money when they sent Sirusho with Qele Qele in 2008.
What could be better than a young lady in shakeable fringing singing her heart out while surrounded by 3 blokes with mullets performing a hybrid of gymnastic gyrations and liturgical dance?
Our first entrant is starting us off slowly with a salad.....just so our sequined hot pants have a little room to breath. (Not intentionally it's the luck of the running order draw!)
Eech - Bulgur and Tomato Salad
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 small green capsicum
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 3 spring onions
- 3-4 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (approx.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely sliced red chilli (optional...but highly recommenced)
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil in a medium saucepan
- Turn off heat
- Add bulgur and stir
- Cover and allow to rest for 20 minutes
- Transfer the bulgur to a mixing bowl (drain any excess water, but it should be all absorbed)
- Finley chop the capsicum, tomatoes, spring onions and parsley
- Add to the bulgur
- Combine the oil and lemon juice together and stir through the bulgur and vegetables
- Season to taste
- Garnish with red chilli if desired
- You could also go to town adding other herbs such as coriander, mint or red onions
- The perfect take to work lunch, so refreshing and many of you know my negative feelings towards tomatoes!
I use to be one of them but this year I have pre-listened and so glad I did.......No Spoilers!
Armenia will be represented by Aram mp3 who is the firm favourite to win but really who can pick it??