ערב טוב this is Jerusalem, Israel calling.
Last year Israel was extremely popular in Chow Down to Eurovision with their dish Hummus with the Lot.
There is a limit to how much hummus one human can safely consume and without over sharing all I'll say is I know that exact quantity.
We are going to be having breakfast in Israel today with an apple fritter known as Apples in Pyjamas, it tastes just like a donut but it's an apple so you can truly say you only had an apple for breakfast.
Izhar Cohen provides the cardio to burn off our breakfast with Olé, Olé from 1985.
Get out the leg warmers, head bands and smile extenders this is classic 80's jazz ballet at it's Tony Bartuccio best!
Despite winning in 1978 Izhar placed 5th in 1985.
Apples in Pyjamas
- 3 granny smith or other tart apple
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Oil to fry (about a litre)
- Add flour, milk, egg and a pinch of sugar to a jug
- Blend smooth with a hand blender
- Slice apples about 1/2cm thick
- Remove core with a cutter (I had a star cookie cutter)
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan on high heat (raise and lower heat as required)
- In 2 separate bowls place some extra flour and the batter
- Coat the apple ring in flour
- Dip the apple into the batter and let the excess run off
- Fry for about 1 minute on each side till golden brown
- Coat in cinnamon sugar (add as much or as little cinnamon as you like to a bowl of sugar)
- These would be perfect with ice cream for a quick faux apple pie
- If you work quickly you don't need lemon to stop the apples going brown, the flour also helps to slow the process
Can Mei Finegold and Same Heart bring the Eurovision trophy back to Israel for the fourth time?בהצלחה