In 2013 Norway presented Smultringers, a cardamom flavoured donut cooked in lard, so really no one else had a chance of wining the inaugural Chow Down to Eurovision.
*no actual physical trophy due to budget cut backs
To honour of our reigning champions let's enjoy Anne Karine Strøm singing Mata Hari in 1976 where she came dressed as a gold statute.
Unbelievably she come last on 7 points, which thinking positively is 4 points better than when she came equal last in 1974.
No matter what history says I hereby state she came first in the fashion stakes!
Douze Points la Norvège!
Don't worry I'm not going to give you a recipe for a sandwich, just the filling!
I used a loaf I'd baked using Dan Lepard's Sour Cream Sandwich Loaf, with the slight variation of increasing the sour cream to a use up a 300ml tub and doubling the remaining ingredients to make 2 loaves.
You can use precooked prawns or cook them yourself. I prefer chopped larger prawns rather than the little baby one...let them have a good life before hitting my tummy.
Norwegian Prawn Open Sandwich
- 500-600g of prawns (about 100-150g per sandwich, see note)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (jar or made depends if the chickens have delivered enough eggs)
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 2 spring onions (whites only) finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the cold cooked prawns (not too small)
- Mix through mayonnaise, lemon juice, spring onions and season to taste
- Assemble the sandwich, with or without an attempt at a great work of art
The other ingredient in my Prawn Garden masterpiece are
- Bread of your choice
- Boiled eggs sliced (flowers)
- Avocado (stems and leaves)
- Red and black caviar (pollen)
- Chives chopped (grass)
- Note: I use peeled green prawns and poached for 1-2 minutes in salted boiling water
- The perfect snack for an afternoon of Eurovision repeats
Carl Espen will take the heartbreaking ballad Silent Storm to Demark this May, will Norway go from a victorious Chow Down to Eurovision 2013 to Eurovision 2014 champions?