Bonsoir Europa this is Paris calling for the next installment of our Eurovision food tour....does anyone have a breath mint?
France's entry is a dish that I have wanted to do since the birth of the Chow Down to Eurovision, forty clove garlic chicken because I am garlic obsessed.
I could go on and on about my love of garlic but as this is the second last country I think it's best to....what is French for "just get on with it"?
Forty Clove Garlic Chicken with Creamy Garlic Sauce
- 40 cloves of garlic (skin on)
- 1kg chicken thighs
- 1kg chicken legs
- .5kg chicken wings
- 30mls olive oil
- 30g lard
- 1 large carrot
- 1 leek
- 2 stalks celery with leaves
- Sprigs of parsley
- Sprigs a thyme
- Sprigs of tarragon
- 250ml white wine
- 80ml cream
- Cut the carrots into small batons (or just chop)
- Roughly chop leek and celery
- Add carrots, leek and celery to a large baking dish (one with a lid)
- Add a handful of garlic cloves
- Chop a couple of sprigs of herbs and add to vegetables
- In a deep frypan heat the oil and lard and brown the chicken in batches (be careful this is a spitter)
- Arrange the chicken in the baking dish and cover with remaining garlic
- Add a few more sprigs of herbs
- Pour the wine into the frypan and then pour over the chicken
- Bake at 180 °C for 1 hour with the lid on
- After 1 hour bake a further 15 minutes at 200°C lid off
- Remove chicken and most of the garlic and vegetables from the baking tray onto a serving plate
- Pass the liquid and any remaining garlic or vegetable through a sieve into a medium saucepan
- Skim some of the fat off the top
- Bring to the boil and whisk through 1-2 tablespoons of flour
- When thickened add 1/3 cup thick cream
- Pass the sauce through a sieve for an extra smooth sauce
- Serve with extra sauce, roasted garlic and a crunchy baguette
A delicious base
Browned and ready to go in the oven
Golden and juicy the way chicken should be!
Who doesn't love a glistening thigh?
Lisa Angell delivered an incredible performance for France with one of best uses of video wall the contest has every seen! Yes I heard the people sing and I was ready to raise my banner high, unbelievably France scored just 3 points and come 25th!
I'm not sure what the voters were watching but I don't think it was this??
Past France Chow Down to Eurovision: