Our culinary journey through Eurovision 2015 has taken us to 36 countries (4 to go) and now brings us to Germany.
After Vienna I did spend a couple of nights in Dusseldorf for research so I have some great ideas for future Chow Down to Eurovision food adventures......though I'm not sure if the poffertjes and chicken nuggets is a traditional German breakfast but it works for me!
This year Germany offers us a sophisticated take on jelly and ice cream with WINE!
Rote Grutze would be a perfect eurovision party dessert as it needs to rest overnight in the fridge so you can make it add so as not to spend a second in the kitchen while Eurovision is on!
- 250ml cranberry juice
- 250ml red wine
- 750ml jar of cherries
- 230g sugar
- 250g mixed berries
- 250g strawberries quartered
- 50g cornflour (made into a paste with some water)
- 300ml Pouring cream
- Add cranberry juice, wine, juice from the cherries and sugar to saucepan
- Bring to the boil and reduce for about 5 minutes
- Add cornflour and stir to thicken
- Add all the fruit and stir through for a couple of minutes
- Pour into a bowl and leave in the fridge overnight
- To serve pour some cream into a bowl and top with a good helping of the rote grutze
While this doesn't look the best, ok a blood clot, the combination of the tart berries and the cleanness of the cream is bliss.
The lyrics are "too hard to say three words" so my question was going to be "while its hard to say those three words...what 3 words do you want to hear at Saturday's final could it be Douze Points Germany?".....you can see in the video that is not what come out more like a raving jumble.
I did manage to employ that timeless technique when someone is not understanding you of just repeating the same thing just louder and faster!
My favourite part of the interview is when she turns away and says "I don't understand" which is fair enough she was probably thinking who is this raving bearded chap.....didn't he quite in the German national final?
Some people have said we look alike??
Sadly no one did say Douze Points Germany and along with Austria they became the Zeros of our time.
Previous Germany Chow Down to Eurovision: