The show is full of the weird, the wonderful, the downright offensive or just plain odd and their B&B's (bed and breakfast)
AB and I will sit and critic the rooms mainly based on price "and for this room we charge £99....." to which we replay "you're dreamin' love, £99 for that, it's not even got a bathroom. Travelodge was £19 and you get your own bathroom and Tattoo does the best breakfast."
Ahh Tattoo, so named for his resemblance to the fantasy island character, just a but taller worked the breakfast shift at the Travelodge. I wish I knew his real name as he did a brilliant job and I suspect held the place together. He offered friendly banter that wasn't intrusive until, if breakfast was quiet he would try and force feed you because after all if he had gone to the trouble to cook it you can bloody well eat it.
One of the last episodes screened here in Australia was 4 B&B's in France with an Englishman who hated France and his Wife a tizzy Kath Day Knight type who judged all the rooms on their tea making facilities.
She did turn out to have quite a good sense of humour and did a great impression of the Francophile B&B owner's lecture of traditional French breakfasts.
Needless to say the phrase "that's not how you make a French breakfast" is on high rotation of a morning.
photo from http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/four-in-a-bed/
So combining the traditional B&B bacon and eggs with a little touch of France we have the "That's not how you make a French breakfast toast" or bacon eggy bread depending on your mood.
That's not how you make a French breakfast toast
Ingredients serves 2-3
- 6 eggs
- 4 rindless bacon rashers
- 3 spring onions
- 50g of grated Parmesan or Gruyere (see note)
- 1 Ciabatta roll/loaf
- Blend all ingredients till smooth
- Slice ciabatta into 2-3cm thick slices
- Pour mix into a baking tray or similar dish
- Soak the bread in the mixture, coating both sides
- Heat a frypan on high with a splash of oil and a small knob of butter
- Reduce heat to medium and add the ciabatta 3-4 at a time
- Cook on each side for about 2 minutes till golden brown
- Serve with an extra sprinkle of cheese
The baguette, gruyere prototype.