Some would say it goes back to my Italian heritage but having come from English and Irish convict stock, the closet I come is that they may have stolen some pasta to earn their passage down under. Like all good stereotypes every Italian I know doesn't actually like garlic that much.
Now that winter is upon us it is time for warming soups. Potato and garlic is beyond simple and on a cold night is just like a big bowl of cuddles.
Potato and garlic soup
· 8 Desiree potatoes quartered skin on (or any potato you can get, I just like the purple)
· 3 brown onions chopped
· 1 head of garlic peeled
· 200g bacon bones or diced bacon
· 3 sprigs of thyme
· 200ml light cream
- Sauté onions till just soft.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cream) and cover with water or chicken stock.
- Simmer until potatoes are soft approx. 30 mins.
- If using bacon bones remove from soup and strip off any meat and put the meat back in the soup
- Remove thyme
- Add cream and blend till smooth.