The Kitchen is one place you really do need a sense of humour mainly so that when you are wrestling a 20kg Turducken that won't fit into the pan at 2am Christmas morning, you can laugh and find a bigger pan rather than collapsing to the floor crying.
That has always been my philosophy to cooking, as long as you don't waste food and nobody dies, just have fun with it.
Thinking about the origins of this recipe made me think about just how much foodie comedy is around. From cooking show parodies such as Posh Nosh or the politically incorrect Audrey Gordon to Jamie Oliver talking dirty on YouTube (I'm sorry to be so immature)
Catherine Tate's food critics Janice and Ray inspired a dinner party menu which included a "cheese sandwich with grapes", "soup made from dried shit..ake mushrooms" and yep I even made curry from a goat..."from a goat" and this in Melbourne. The best part was watching the unsuspecting guests as each course come and they realised it all seemed a bit familiar, till one guest exclaimed " YOU dirty bastard!"
Coralee and Ross from Big Girls Blouse (the best comedy series ever) are the inspiration for this soup. I was at uni studying opera when the series aired and this skit rang so true as we were all about boob tubes and lycra, and that was just the blokes!
Being at uni we all had our turn at vegetarianism, more economics than ethics so dinner was often dahl and a group of theatrical peeps are certainly not foreign to Darl!
It felt like it was written for just us.
Poor AB has often been heard sighing "Ahhh, show people!"
Oh great I love dahl darl soup
- 375g red lentils (1 packet)
- 4-5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 brown onions, diced/chopped
- 2 shallots (or just 4 onions) diced/chopped
- 1 thumb of ginger, grated
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 long red chili, finely sliced
- 2 large zucchini, roughly diced
- 2 tbsp. garam masala
- 1.5-2 litres stock (vegetable or your choice)
- Chopped coriander and chilli to garnish
- Rinse lentils well in cold water till water runs clear.
- When chopping the vegetables you want them to be on the smaller side as this soup isn't going to be blended.
- In a large pot on medium heat add the oil
- Add the onions, shallots, ginger, chilli, garlic
- Let the onions soften for about 2-3 minutes
- Add the zucchini and stir through
- Add the garam masala and coat the vegetables
- Add the stock covering the vegetables
- Add the lentils and reduce heat to low
- Cook for about 25 minutes till lentils are tender and melting into the soup, at the ten minute mark stir the soup to make sure the lentils don't catch
- You may been to add some more water or stock
- Garnish with chopped coriander and chilli that can be stirred through the soup
- Optional non vegan addition is a fried egg purely for the yolk porn