Good evening Nicosia, may we have your dish please?
Just like Eurovision voting this wonderful dish from Cyprus should be done in about 5 hours!
Inspired by a recipe I found on SBS food, today's dish is as simple as cutting a potato and putting some lamb in the oven.
So in memory of the late Terry Wogan I'm going to just get on with it!
Slow Roasted Lamb and Potatoes
- 1.5-2kg butterfly lamb (I think it was a leg or may have been a shoulder....I know it was lamb)
- 1kg potatoes (of your choice)
- 2 whole heads of garlic
- 2 lemons
- 2 large sprigs rosemary
- 2 large sprigs oregano
- Olive oil
- Cut potatoes into quarters and add to a large baking dish with lid
- Add lamb on top of the potatoes
- Drizzle lamb with olive oil
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper
- Add the whole garlic to the baking dish
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut long strips of lemon zest
- Add the juice of the lemons over the lamb
- Add the herbs
- Bake at 150°C for 4.5 hours with the lid on and a further 30 minutes lid off
- Serve chucks (it's too soft to slice) of lamb with some roasted garlic and potatoes.....and serviettes and it is gonna get sticky!
The sticky meaty garlicky goodness comes flooding back to me every time I see this picture, though if I'm honest my preference would be for a crunchy potato
John (Giannis) Karayiannis sang beautifully for Cyprus and my judgment is not influenced at all by the fact that he said I was cool for having a Eurovision tattoo.
(I could be his father and I'm cool, I am totally hip with the young peoples!)
When you leave your beard balm at home!
Cyprus came 6th in the semifinal and 22nd in the final.
2014 did not participate