The colours just scream spring, summer good times and hurry up stop typing and just eat me!
This recipe is for 2-3 (or 1 it's that yum)
Three B's Salad
- 4 spring onions
- Juice of 1 blood orange*
- 1.5 cups broad beans
- 50ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 small roasted beetroot quartered
- 4 radishes quartered
- 2 blood oranges* segmented
- 50 g soft goats cheese
- Slice the spring onions (not too fine) and add to a mixing bowl with the blood orange juice
- Leave to marinate about 15 minutes
- Blanch the broad beans for 30-40 seconds in lightly salted boiling water, then plunge into icy water.
- Peal the outer shell of the broad bean
- Mix olive oil through spring onions and juice, season to taste
- Gently coat the beetroot, broad beans and radishes through the dressing so that they still hold their shape
- Gently add the blood orange segments
- Serve doted with soft goats cheese
- If there are any left overs the colour is great the next day as the blood orange and beetroot blend with the radishes and goats cheese
- You can use tinned beetroot but for this I found it too soft. To roast place beetroot in a baking tray with a splash of olive oil and salt and bake cover in tin foil at 160ºC for about 1 hour till tender.
- Pealing the broad beans is to remove the bitterness of the outer shell but I don't mind the flavour so I leave some unpeeled for contrast in flavour and colour.
Really who wouldn't want to have that in their lunch box??
You can go all fancy and try plating it master chef style and serve with lamb steaks. To be honest I prefer the look of it all together in the tin, I'm a simple kinda chap.
A tuna steak variation with boiled egg for a hint of the nicoise
*Redbelly Citrus supplied the blood oranges for this recipe.