There were a few decisions about where the berries should go while testing but in the end I opted for a layer between the sponge and the crumble.
Given the current conversations around the health benefits of whole foods I also went with a wholemeal flour.
I have since learnt that the whole foods philosophy does not extend to whole cakes, whole pizzas, or whole buffets which is a shame as I thought they may have been onto something there........
Blueberry Crumble Tray Bake
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 430g wholemeal self raising flour
- 250ml cream
- 200g frozen blueberries
- 60g unsalted butter
- 40g treacle
- 80g slivered almonds
- 100g rolled oats
- 30g wholemeal self raising flour
Pre heat oven to 180ºC and line a 27.9cm x 17.8cm x 3.81cm tray (or there abouts) with baking paper
- Melt butter with treacle in a microwave for 30 seconds (or on stove top)
- Add almonds, oats and flour to a bowl
- Mix butter and treacle through the dry ingredients
- Cream butter and sugar till pale and fluffy
- Add vanilla
- Beat through eggs a little at a time
- Mix in flour and cream
- Spread batter into lined tray
- Evenly sprinkle blueberries onto batter
- Top with crumble
- Press down to even the top
- Bake at 180ºC for 40-45 mins
- Let cool in tin before serving
I over line the tray so the corners can be tucked over to protect the crumble sides from burning.
The cream is just thickened cream with some caster sugar & about 10 blueberries whipped using a hand blender.