So while I love a good chicken Kiev there is no way anything with an oozing pocket of garlic butter is coming near me or my suit. I'm guaranteed to spill it down my front, I can even manage that with a bottle of water...and that takes skill.
Problem solved I have removed the ooze but kept all the flavour, although I'm not sure ooze is the best culinary descriptor.
It should be compulsory for anyone planning a cocktail party to test every dish while holding a wine glass, the marketing material from the event and engaging in a 3 way conversation. I'm sure if this level of testing was carried out we would never see a menu item that required a fork again!
No Drip Kiev Balls
Ingredients: makes about 25 balls
- 1 chicken breast fillet
- 3 chicken thigh fillets
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 60g butter
- 1/2 bunch parsley chopped
- Salt really, really good pinch
- 1 egg
- Breadcrumbs (panko)
- Spray or olive oil
- Cover garlic with a splash of oil and wrap tin foil
- Roast at 180ºC for about 45 mins till tender
- Let garlic cool
- Mince the chicken with peeled garlic, butter and chopped parsley in a meat mincer
- Pass it through twice
- Season with salt/pepper and slap the mixture against the side of the bowl a couple of times, a bit like kneading
- Leave covered overnight in the fridge
- Set up 3 separate bowls for the flour, egg, breadcrumbs
- Roll tablespoon sized balls and coat in flour, egg and breadcrumbs
- Place on a greased lined oven tray
- Give a quick spray or drizzle with oil
- Bake at 180ºC for 25-30 minutes
- I don't serve with a sauce.....I'd only spill it on myself
- For a juicier balls use all thigh (still non drip)
- You can test the seasoning by frying off a bit of the mixture, don't try the raw chicken.