So this winter we have Soupy Stars which came about because Kim a wonderful Saucer (twitter follower) said she was looking forward to soup recipes.
So not to disappoint there will be a whole series of soup recipes, there will be smooth, clear, creamy, chunky, hot, hairy, ok well there'll nothing hairy sorry about that ladies and gentlemen.
With many Saucers being in the northern hemisphere and in the midst of summer, the bonus of going global means I'll also be posting some perfect summer non soup recipes too, unless you want to put the air conditioner on full and grab a bowl of soup.
To kick off proceeding we are starting with fennel or finochio which for me conjures up Italy as much as tomatoes, pasta or hearing a "ciao bello". One of my favourites in salads, salami or thinly sliced on a pizza with some bresaola, parmesan and mayo, it even has it's own place in my garden.
Please grow for me, I know I'm not a real Italian but help a fratello out?
Cream of Fennel Soup with Sausage Croutons
- 3 brown onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 whole fennel, roughly chopped
- 1 potato, chopped but smaller than the fennel
- Vegetable stock (about 3-4 cups)
- 150ml light cream
- Olive oil
- fennel fronds (the tips) for garnish
- 1-2 Italian sausages
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large pot on medium heat
- Add onions, garlic, fennel and potato
- Stir to coat in oil
- Just cover with stock and simmer for about 30 minutes
- When fennel is tender blend the soup smooth
- To achieve a thicker soup remove some liquid before blending, reserve in case it needs to be added back
- Add cream and blend through
- To achieve an ultra smooth soup pass through a fine sieve but this is optional
- To make the croutons squeeze out small amounts of sausage from the skin
- Cook in a frypan on low for about 10 minutes till cooked
- Serve garnished with croutons, fennel fronds and a splash of cream