Make the pledge with me people.
I came to this mission after a month of the dodgy cafe next to my work ( it's a captive audience type arrangement), over priced, under flavoured, and about as healthy as a packet of Winnie Blue.
So as I stood in line looking at the upside down friands, waiting way to long for the usual bad coffee, I thought what am I doing here, I can cook, why am I wasting my money with somewhere that clearly can't.
My criteria was it has to be something cold and quick that was desk edible. I also want something healthy that tasted evil, and not like grass and dirt.
This wasn't part of a new years resolution as it has been sitting in draft for about 2 months. I'm not fond of the crazy diet resolution as it ends up like a business I saw on twitter. "Resolutions Gym" January it is a gym, from February to December it's a tapas bar.
Although one change I will make this year is to not eat at any resturant that is happy to throw their food out a window, e.g. no drive-thru.
This was the first wave of troops. Enjoy, and stop paying for rubbish food!
Corn Salsa Salad
The quantity of each ingredient is really up to you, I base it around 1 can of corn.
- 1 410gram can of corn kernels
- 1 head cos lettuce
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 2 red onions finely sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 1 long chili
- 1 handful flat leaf parsley
- 1 handful coriander
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Drain corn
- Roughly chop lettuce, cucumber, chili, tomatoes and herbs.
- Combine in a bowl
- Add juice of the lime and 2 table spoons of olive oil
- Toss and serve
- If you take as much care with the chopping as it do, you will be finished in under 3 minutes.
- So many variations, add avocado, capsicum, mint.