Way back in October's In My Kitchen I wrote about Strawberry and Blood Orange Jam, well all things come to those who wait, so here is the recipe.
I make jam in small batches rather than having jars and jars of it, as I don't eat jam every day and I like to have varieties when I do.
This batch has also made it's way into my Christmas cake!
The combination of the berry and citrus flavours reminds me a little of fruit cup cordial.
Strawberry and Blood Orange Jam
- 500g whole strawberries, washed and hulled
- 2 blood oranges*
- 250g sugar
- Zest and juice the blood oranges (I like long strands)
- In a large saucepan add the strawberries, zest and juice and sugar
- Stir occasionally
- Simmer on low to medium for about 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Test the jam is ready by putting a couple of small plates in the freezer, add a tsp. of jam to the frozen plate, if it sets, you're done.
- I like the slow gentle approach to keep the strawberries intact
- Now just to whip up a batch of scones and cream, bliss!
*Redbelly Citrus supplied the blood oranges for this recipe.
Store in a sterilised jar in the fridge, my small batches are usually gone in a month.