Following on from the joy that is preserved lemons I had try blood oranges just to see what they would be like.
Eureka! They work perfectly, all that salty goodness with a burst of fruit cup citrus power.
The test batch I used in a coriander pesto to accompany spicy chicken.
Preserved blood oranges are the perfect addition to a lamb and fig tagine, with butter under the skin of chicken, or as a citrus hit in soups.
Preserved blood oranges
- Blood oranges*
- Rock salt
- Boiled water
- Quarter the blood oranges
- Put into jars filling gaps with rock salt
- Fill jars with boiled water
- Replace lid and leave in a cool dark spot for about 4 weeks
- The two jar pictured used 4 oranges and approx. 300g rock salt
- They should last about 2-3 months