Good Evening Australia, we have come to our fourth contestant in the Australian National Final for Chow Down to Eurovision 2015, Fiona from Tiffin Bite Sized Food Adventures.
Fiona is such a fan of Eurovision she has written about her parties so please pay her a visit and read about her adventures.
With Turkey absent again in this year's Eurovision line up, I love how Fiona has incorporated the long connection between Australia and Turkey into this dish.
Going the extra mile but stopping short of a wind machine, Fiona has even created her own logo as part of her entry.
Will a logo gain bonus points over contestant number one's singing? Eurovision we love a gimmick!
Please put your hands together for contestant number four!
Just the right amount of glitter
What is Eurovision without a reveal???
Turkish Cinnamon Pear Pies
- 4 firm pears
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cups water
- 2 dark plums
- 2/4 cup caster sugar
- 40g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup cream, thickened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp rosewater
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Peel pears and place in a medium saucepan with sugar, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods and water.
- Place on a medium heat and simmer until pears are tender but still hold there shape.
- Whilst pears are cooking, peel plums and scoop out four balls of plum (2 balls from each plum) with a melon baller or teaspoon. Set aside.
- Remove pears from heat and frain pears from syrup. Retain syrup.
- Whilst pears are draining and cooling, place plums balls in cooling syrup to allow them to soak up some of the flavours.
- Place all filling ingredients except egg white in a bowl and beat together until smooth. creamy and pale.
- Whip eggs whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form
- Gently fold egg whites into filling mix, being careful not to knock out all of the air.
- Divide filling between 4 heatproof one and a half cup bowls or ramekins
- Take pears and gently scoop out a ball from the base of each pear the same size as the plum balls. This will remove some of the core.
- Drain plums from syrup and place a plum ball into the base of each pear. This is the hidden surprise that will be revealed.
- Gently push a pear into each bowl approximately a third of the way down.
- Bake in a 180c oven for 25 -30 mins until golden brown (watch the last few minutes so they don’t brown too quickly like mine did!)
- Serve with ice cream, cream or little silver disco balls
What do you think of Fiona's Turkish Cinnamon Pear Pies?
Is this the dish that could win for Australia?
Let me know in the comments or on twitter or Facebook using #BuildingBrunches
Check in tomorrow as we meet our last contestant.