As I mentioned in the In My Kitchen post blood oranges are my best friend this time of year.
From the sweet syrup cakes to moist roast chicken I am detecting a strong bond between the blood orange and the almond.
My day tomorrow is all mapped out after I get my hands on some more of these babies, making more cordial, a curd and fine tuning the sauce pictured below.
I may head into some experimental ground by trying to preserve them or making a salt.
Oh and an ice cream how could I forget ice cream............
Clearly this is becoming an obsession, so if ever you can't find me start looking at any fruit shop.
Blood Orange, Tarragon and Almond Roast Chicken
- 100g soft butter
- 50g blanched almonds
- Zest and juice of 2 blood oranges
- 2-3 sprigs of tarragon
- 2 chicken maryland
- Salt and black pepper
- Put almonds into a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin to roughly crush
- Add butter to mixing bowl
- Add almonds, zest and juice of blood oranges and roughly torn tarragon
- Mix with a fork to combine
- Put mixture on plastic wrap and roll into a log
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes (could be made ahead)
- Slip a finger under the skin of the chicken and fill each piece with half of the butter
- Massage it evenly over the thigh and into the leg
- Place on a lightly oiled baking tray and season with salt and pepper
- Bake at 180°C/160°C fan for 30 mins
- Let rest for 10 minutes
- I served with blanched broccoli and kale sautéed in butter and more almonds
It's a ready!