One of my friend is very focused on healthy eating atm but also has a love for fast food, and our discussion mostly focused around nuggets. Oh how I used to love nuggets, I have even been known to judge a country by the quality of their nuggets. Italy your nugget cuisine still reigns supreme. We chatted about a particular nugget that is filled with cheese, and how even for these I will not cross the pickle line.
Given her health concerns and her love of this cheese(y) nugget and my general coolness for being the most kind, caring, selfless and wonderful friend I set to work (OK I just wanted a nugget)
The result from the don't boil the sauce test kitchen is my naked nuggets, baked not fried, just chicken, cheese and crumbs. They hit the spot without going over the top. Depending on how much room you have left in your "behind budget" you can use chicken breast or use egg whites in the wash to reduce the fat or just deep fry to bring it on!
My Naked Nuggets
- 700g chicken thigh fillet
- 100g mozzarella
- 5g sea salt flakes
- Cornflour to coat
- 2 eggs + a splash of water
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Cut chicken into chunks and pass through a mincer.
- Pass the chicken through the mincer again, this time with the grated mozzarella.
- Mix the salt through the meat.
- Take 1 tablespoon of mixture and roll it in cornflour.
- Dip into egg wash
- Coat with crumbs/ sesame seeds and shape into nuggets.
- Place on a tray with baking paper
- Bake at 210°C for 12-15mins till cooked through.
- You can choose to mince the cheese with the chicken or mix through grated cheese. I preferred the minced version as it was closest to the nugget I was aiming for.
- There are also lots of additions like garlic and basil to make them really sing but I didn't want to dress them up too much, they are naked after all.